Saturday 24 January 2015

Chicken curry - my way

Saturday's here again and the spice fest continues.  I'm cooking a stonking curry whilst watching West Side Story, my idea of a perfect Saturday afternoon.  This recipe is based on my own take on a masala paste.  I know there is jar upon jar of curry pastes in the shops but I just love making my own, especially at the weekend when I have more time, and it keeps in the fridge for ages.  As it is a birthday weekend for one of the kids I'm pushing the boat out a bit and doing some sides as well to go with the main dish. I'll try to post these in the week.  

Ready for the slow cooker

Ingredients for 8 (great for freezing)
4 tbsp sunflower oil
25g butter
4 onions, roughly chopped
6 tbsp chicken masala paste (use shop-bought or make your own)
2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2½ cm cubes
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
4 tbsp tomato purée
200ml natural yogurt
Chopped coriander leaves and finely chopped chilli, to serve

The masala paste!
In a small food processor, whizz together 5 garlic cloves, 1 large knob of fresh root ginger, roughly chopped, 2 red chillies roughly chopped, 2 teasp each ground cumin and coriander, 1 teasp each turmeric, ground cinnamon, fenugreek seeds, paprika and garam masala, 4 cloves and the seeds from 4 cardamom pods. Add a little water to bring the paste together.  

Method

Heat the oil and butter in a large, lidded casserole on the hob, then add the onions and a pinch of salt. Cook for 15-20 minutes until soft and golden. Add the paste and peppers, then cook for 5 minutes more to cook out the rawness of the spices. Add the chicken and stir well to coat in the paste. Cook for 2 minutes, then tip in the tomatoes, purée and 200ml water. Cover with a lid and very gently simmer for at least 30 minutes and up to an hour. I’m using my slow cooker and cooking on low for 6 hours.  Remove the lid, add the yogurt, then gently warm through. Season and set aside whatever you want to freeze.  Scatter the rest with coriander leaves and serve with basmati rice and naan bread.  If I have time I’ll make a tarka dhal to go with the bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment