Tuesday 24 June 2014

Thai Pork and Peanut Curry

Last night's supper was a disaster.  So, I'm really glad that I posted a different recipe. Onwards and upwards, here's a quick, easy and really tasty supper that's quite mild compared to other curries I make but I just love the flavour.  I think it's a good recipe for introducing children to Thai flavours.  

Ingredients
1 tbsp vegetable oil
A bunch of spring onions, sliced
1 small bunch coriander, stalks finely chopped
400g pork tenderloin, sliced
4 tbsp Thai red curry paste
4 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
400ml tin of light coconut milk
1 red pepper, sliced
juice 1 lime
1 tin of pineapple pieces, drained, optional
Rice, to serve.



Method
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the spring onions and coriander stalks and cook for 1 min. Add the pork slices and cook for 5 mins until starting to brown.
Stir in the curry paste and peanut butter. After 30 secs, add the sugar, soy and coconut milk, plus ½ a can of water. Mix well, put a lid on and leave to simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
Remove the lid, add the red pepper and increase the heat. Bubble for 3 mins until the pepper is cooked and the sauce has thickened a little. Finally add the pineapple pieces if using and allow them to warm through. Stir in the lime juice and check the seasoning. Serve scattered with the coriander leaves and rice.


2 comments:

  1. I will definitely be trying out this recipe - along with others on here! I've just started a cooking blog and yours is very similar to what I hope to achieve with mine. I've been cooking a lot of Thai food lately, and I'm planning on cooking a curry soon. Do you ever make your own curry paste? I try and cook from scratch as much as possible, but I've heard that ready made curry paste is a wiser choice than attempting to source authentic ingredients.

    If you have a spare moment, please take a look at my blog: www.mangocheek.blogspot.co.uk. It's still a work in progress but I'd appreciate some feedback.

    Best,
    Farel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for your comment. I love to cook from scratch most of the time, even curries. BUT sometimes I use a paste or even a sauce mostly for Thai type curries. I have a lovely Indian friend who is a bit of a foodie and she says the most common mistake people make when cooking a curry is that they don't toast the whole spices for long enough. Another thing is not to buy large amounts of spices as they lose their flavour over time. Hope this helps and I will check out your blog. Happy posting. Sonia

      Delete