Friday 25 April 2014

Spaghetti Bolognese

I was treated to an Italian meal last night at Pomodoro with my lovely nieces, Lily and Megan.  So, as I didn't actually cook last night I thought I should stick with the Italian theme and share my take on Spaghetti Bolognese.  I have switched from using San Marzono tomatoes (hideously expensive) to a brand the lovely chap from Bewdley Deli recommended and there's a picture of the tin below.  Apparently it's the brand used in many Italian restaurants.  This is a quick version of a dish that is beautiful when cooked long low and slow to make a scrumptious ragu. Sometimes I add some cubes of pancetta to the mince for added flavour.

It all goes very well with an episode of the Borgias.  Ciao!



Ingredients

500g of the best quality minced beef you can find
1 tin of tomatoes
Large knob of butter
1 teasp smashed garlic
1 large onion finely chopped
1 teasp of mixed oregano and marjoram
2 tbsp of tomato puree
Salt and pepper
Bay leaf
Pancetta cubes if you fancy it.

Method
Add butter, onion, garlic and herbs to the pan and cook without colour
Add beef and season well
Once the beef has browned cook slowly for 20 minutes
Add the chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil
Stir in the tomato puree to thicken and remove from the heat
Taste and adjust seasonings

Add to a pan of spaghetti cooked al dente and combine together.
Serve with a side salad, freshly grated parmesan and a nice glass of Chianti.






No comments:

Post a Comment