Tuesday 20 May 2014

Carrot and Toasted Cumin Soup with Wild Garlic

The wild garlic is still going strong in the garden so I thought I'd try another soup and have asked my vegetarian friend Helen to be my chief taster.  She doesn't mince her words so I know I will get honest  feedback......let's hope it works out.  Anyway, I wish I could post the smell as the kitchen is full of the aroma of the toasted cumin and is making me feel quite peckish.



Ingredients
4 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
4 -5 wild garlic leaves washed and shredded
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
Half a teasp toasted cumin seeds
1 litre of vegetable stock
Half a teasp cumin seeds, toasted and ground in a mortar and pestle
Salt and pepper to taste at the end.

Method
I added all the ingredients to my wonderful soup maker (present from Mum), pressed the start button and 20 minutes later, Bob's your Uncle.....soup's done.

If I wasn't using the soup maker I would have added all the ingredients into a large pan, brought it to the boil and then simmered gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Once cooked I would then have blitzed it until smooth with my stick blender and checked the seasoning before serving with a crusty bread roll on the side.

OOPS! I've just opened the soup maker and the soup isn't carrot red because of the wild garlic.  Does this matter?  It tastes blooming' lovely.  Since making this I've increased the amount of carrot and reduced the wild garlic.  I think the balance is better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment