Saturday 17 May 2014

Here comes the Sun and Barbecue Ribs

Just typing the words BBQ ribs makes me want to lick my lips and tuck in with gusto.  I haven't written down my ribs recipe before, so this is tough but here goes and all the measurements I am testing as I type.  I like to par cook the ribs covered in the oven long, low and slow with some water to stop them drying out for 1 hour at 130C.  Once tender I drain off the stock and cover with the sauce and cook for a further 30 minutes at 180C.  Full of flavour and a great way to feed a crowd without breaking the bank.  I know you can buy them already covered in a marinade of choice but this is quick, honest, and the end result soo much tastier.  My Hubby likes to finish them off on the BBQ for that char grilled smokey finish. Ta Dah!  Oh, and have serviettes to hand.



Ingredients
About 1.5 kilos of ribs, the meatier the better.
If you can buy a rack then it looks fab when served but it does cost a little more and you still have to chop it up. I always go for the biggest meatiest ribs I can find.

The Sauce
This is a guide only as you may want to hotter, sweeter, saltier or even fruitier.
Orange juice - about 250 mls
Tomato ketchup 2 really good squirts
English mustard powder - 1 heaped teasp
Lea n' Perrins Sauce - a good splash
Hot Paprika or Cayenne - 1 teasp
Chilli powder - to taste but go easy
Runny Honey - 2 generous squeezes
Ginger - 2 cm finely chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves finely chopped or use 2 inches of garlic puree paste
Soy sauce and 5 spice powder if you want a Chinese flavour.




No comments:

Post a Comment