Monday 19 May 2014

Spanish Omelette

I was walking with friends and their dogs in the forest this morning and suddenly came up with this far from new idea.  It is a 'use it up' supper which transforms yesterday's Jersey Royals left over from the BBQ into a tasty, easy and laid back Monday night supper.   There are so many versions of this dish but I am opting for my own version so I can use up potatoes, red pepper and asparagus and I might throw in a few peas for added colour. Muy bien señora. Let's hope it looks as good as this picture. I suppose some chorizo or cubes of bacon would work well but I'm keeping it Veggie today.



I also plan to try a new soup recipe for my friend Helen if I have time.   The idea is Carrot soup with toasted cumin and wild garlic.  I'll be making it up as I go along and if it's tasty I will post it tomorrow.

Ingredients
500g cooked potatoes, I'm using Jersey Royals but Charlotte potatoes are good too
1 knob butter
2 small onions
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
Half a bunch of asparagus
8 eggs
Chives
Salt and pepper - be generous as it's a big dish with loads of eggs!

Optional grated cheese.

Method
Finely slice the onions and chop the asparagus and red pepper, removing the seeds. 
Cut the potatoes into chunks. 
Heat the butter in a median sized frying pan over a low heat and cook the potatoes until just starting to brown, add the peppers and asparagus and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Break the eggs into a jug and beat with a fork, season with a generous grind of pepper and a good pinch of salt. 
Snip the chives using scissors directly into the jug and stir in.

Heat the grill to medium. 
Add some more butter to the pan on a medium heat and add the peas. 
Pour over the egg mixture. 
Cook for 15 minutes until almost set and golden brown underneath.  Have a peek using a fish slice to check the cooking.
Place the pan under the grill being sure to use an ovenproof pan or that the handle is outside the grill.  Cook for a further 2-3 minutes until set and golden. 
Serve in wedges with a salad and corn on the cob ,with dare I say even more butter!

I sprinkled cheddar cheese on as it went under the grill. 




2 comments:

  1. Hi Sonia going to try this tonite, are the potatoes already pre-cooked before frying them? xxx will let you know of results xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes as they were leftovers. Just add extra flavour with salt and pepper as mine was really pretty but a tad bland. I also added cheese at the end to tempt Harriet!

    ReplyDelete